Tuesday, January 03, 2012

The 12 Angels of Christmas - Day 9


Today I'm sharing two of the cheekier angels from my tree - a Pooh angel and a little mouse angel.

I rather like that Pooh's wings and halo are attached like costume pieces. Makes me think that the silly old bear is participating in the Christmas pageant (what a Pooh thing to do...) I obviously love that the mouse is a joyful chorister.

I have no idea why artists and artisans turn animals into angels, but you see it all the time - teddy bear angels, cat angels, puppy angels - the list is endless.

Yes, there can be something cute about the whole thing, but if we think about it a little, doesn't it tie into the desire we have to find the holy in the ordinary? Maybe it reminds us that there are "angels unawares" moving among us.

How would our lives change if we became aware of the holiness that exists all around us?

*************************************

To celebrate the twelve days of Christmas,
I'll be posting a new angel every day.
This series is inspired by my Dad's "The Twelve Creches of Christmas."

No comments: