Sunday, January 30, 2011

Break Forth - Day 3

This morning started with a songwriting workshop with Don Poythress called Right Song, Right Place. His main focus was on knowing which song to sing in which type of venue. He brought up the image of the temple, with its outer court, inner court, and Holy of Holies. Each of these areas could represent a different kind of performance opportunity and, as songwriters, we can create unique songs for each of these areas.

Songwriter, Don Poythress

Next I attended Essentials of Worship Theology with Dan Wilt. This could be a university course! Covering topics like Celtic theology, the Trinity, and God's relationship with humanity through Genesis, Dan explained how worship can be a creative act, a communal act, a royal act, and storytelling act.

But the afternoon was the highlight for me! Our worship session was lead by Paul Baloche, and it was awesome! There's nothing like singing a song when lead by the writer. We sing "Your Name" and "Open the Eyes of My Heart" all the time, but to be lead in this song by Paul was so special. I found myself shifting from joyful worshiper to observant musician. How did he do that transition? How can we use that at home?

Years ago, I read Blue Like Jazz and couldn't stop talking about it. So hearing its author, Donald Miller, was one of the things that excited me most about this weekend. Donald is funny, intelligent, and authentic. Recalling the story of Joseph, his message focused on the kind of person God will use and to what purpose. It was inspiring and wonderful!

Break Forth is officially over, but the real work is about to begin! I'm coming home with a bag full of resources - training DVDs for our worship team, CDs of new songs, books on songwriting, and more DVDs for small groups. My bag is full of notes and websites and ideas. My imagination is percolating with new creative thoughts.

I'm so thankful my Dad found the brochure for Break Forth, and I'm so thankful for all the people that helped support us in this trip. Now we're just praying for a safe flight home tomorrow!

No comments: