Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Under the Bridge

I finally got back to the Bridge tonight. It's been ages since I've been able to participate. Tuesdays seem to be a crazy day for me!

It was nice to be there with good weather, and there were tonnes of people there! Lots of participants, and an huge number of volunteers. One of the cool things about the Bridge is the special guests who drop by from various ministries. Tonight's preacher was from a group called Oasis, who also brought their children's dance team, P.E.A.K. - Putting Everything Ahead of the King. It was a dozen children, ages nine to early teens, and they were awesome. They had been taught fairly long and complicated routines, and it was great to see them stepping up to the challenge.

The other guest was Joyce Martin. I've heard her with her family (The Martins), but she's also a fantastic soloist. I was glad to meet her and tell her I'd recorded "Shepherd of the Hills". She sang the original demo, so I spent many hours with 'Joyce' learning that beautiful melody. She told me she'd actually recorded the demo about three years ago. This made me smile - It was like the song was waiting for me!

I also thought this was an inspiring songwriting story - Sometimes it takes a long time for a song to get cut, even a great song!

At the end of tonight's service, the preacher did an altar call. About 20 people stepped forward to give their lives to Jesus. After that he did a general call for those needing prayer, and another 20 or so people came forward. What an incredible thing to witness!

Needs are being met, lives are being changed, and the Gospel is being lived out ... under the bridge.

No comments: