Sunday, June 02, 2013

Elim Women's Retreat - Day 3

I'm writing this from the comfort of my home, with sunshine and an evening breeze drifting through the room...

As we were getting ready this morning, Gerald and I both commented on how quickly the weekend had flown by. Technically, it was a lot of work - 4 worship services and a full concert - and yet it had felt almost effortless.

For our closing session, we chose a lot of our favourite songs. We led the ladies in singing I Heard The Voice of Jesus Say (with my Irish penny whistle), Mighty to Save, and our setting of Psalm 104 to Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah. We knew where Tara's message was going, so in preparation, we sang our new song, Thy Will Be Done.

There's a wonderful trust that happens at retreats. We noticed it last night when the lyrics went down, and we noticed it again this morning. The theme of "thy will be done" can be imposing, but it was taught and received with a gentle spirit. It was a powerful way to end the weekend. We sent them out singing, clapping, and dancing with our arrangement of "Joyful Jeremiah."

After that, there was nothing to do but enjoy a leisurely roast beef dinner, take last minute photos, pack, and enjoy the drive home.

And now, as I sit on my couch, my mind is wandering through the beautiful memories of the weekend - the joyful singing, praying the thunderstorms would pass us, the inside joke of "whooooosh!", the family of Canada geese outside the restaurant, and the countless conversations shared between strangers and new friends.

I'm a little tired tonight, but mostly, I just feel energized, relaxed, and incredibly grateful.

I'll get photos up soon, but maybe when I'm a little less tired!

No comments: