Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Goethe, Mark, and American Idol

A day of good stuff and productivity! I'm finally feeling healthy and good and well rested! It's sad that it takes a stomach bug to make me rest, but I guess that's got to go on my 2010 Goals & Resolutions - "Learn that resting and relaxing is positive and productive, and not a colossal and lazy waste of time."

I started a new Bible study today at St. John's. It's lead by the brilliant Olivia Lee, and we're doing Mark. I know most of the ladies in the group - they're wise and honest, and I'm looking forward to the challenge!

The afternoon was steeped in practical things, which meant I felt shameless when I indulged in my favourite television event: American Idol. You can hate it if you like, but it is my guilty pleasure. I don't keep stats like a football fan, but I love a good voice and a good story.

That said, I think some of the audition candidates need to be reminded of the Goethe quote: "I wish the stage were as narrow as a tight rope so that no incompetent would dare walk on it."

No one would hire me to build a bridge, fly a plane, or perform open heart surgery. At least take a voice lesson or two before stepping out on national television!

No comments: