Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Book Review: More Than We Remember, by Christina Suzann Nelson



I don't know about you, but since the lockdown started,
I've been reading like a maniac. 

In March, I read 5 books. 
FIVE BOOKS!!!

I know for some of you, that's an average month, but for me, that was huge! I haven't been reading this much since university. This month, I'm on track to finish 4 books, including a sweet vintage copy of Shakespeare's Sonnets.

Our current environment can't help but shape our reading experiences, and that's why I'm really happy to share this novel with you today.

More Than We Remember is a portrait of crisis in a small town. On a quiet summer's evening, a car veers into the wrong lane, killing a single mother and leaving an entire town shaken and divided.

We follow the stories of three women - Emilia, Addison, and Brianne. Neither are friends before this moment, but the accident weaves their stories together in unexpected and powerful ways. Unravelling their secrets takes us on a journey through family dynamics, illness, suicide, and lies. The story is compelling with a great twist and a satisfying conclusion.

Ultimately, this is a story about the choices we make in crisis.
How do we treat those who are on our side and those who are not? 
How do we care for others when we're in deep pain? 
How do we love someone who seems to have changed?
How do we choose compassion when anger and blame are so much easier? 
How can we help others find the truth they so desperately need, 
even if that truth is painful for us?

As I was reading this, I couldn't help but let my thoughts drift outside my home and into my own neighbourhood. We are in unprecedented times. Our entire world is in pain. No one is unaffected.

The women of More Than We Remember discover the power of loving others through the most difficult of circumstances. And, in doing so, we are gifted with a story of mercy, grace, and inspiration.

This is one of those wonderful times when fiction can serve up a good dose of truth:

Love one another.... 
with good meals, a open mind, your gentle presence, 
and above all, a generous heart.


Stay safe, everyone! 



Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.


No comments: