Wednesday, August 07, 2019

Book Review: Whose Waves These Are, by Amanda Dykes

Lghthouses, lobsters, poetry, and just the right bit of romance...

Whose Waves These Are 
is the perfect summer read!

Amanda Dykes takes us to the fictional Maine town of Ansel-by-the-Sea - a sleepy cove where everyone knows everyone, and community ties run deep.

After losing his brother in the horrors of WWII, Bob, a great fisherman but an unlikely poet, writes an inspired verse. Its clarion call: send me a rock for the person you lost, and let's create a tribute to their lives. Only meant for his grieving community, the poem takes on a life of its own, and his world begins to change.

By the time his great-niece, Annie, discovers the odd treasure trove of stones, a lifetime of hurt and secrets have passed. One fateful summer, the waves bring new stories, and all is revealed in this epic tale of love, loss, family, and redemption.

So many things I enjoyed about this book:

- I love the ocean, and if I can't be there myself, reading a tale inspired by the waves is the next best thing! The only way to make it better would be to actually read it by the sea. 

- I'm always excited by fractured narrative, multiple time periods, and historical fiction. Amanda handles all these techniques beautifully to tell a story that's engaging and emotionally satisfying.

- Technically, this falls under the category of "Christian fiction". If I'm being completely honest, that phrase can scare me. I'm wary of books that will get too preachy, or will start to feel too agenda based. The people of Ansel-by-the-Sea remind me of Christians I know. Just normal people, who happen to believe in a loving God. They have doubts and imperfections, but they're on the path of love. Faith is simply woven into the story and characters in the same way that's it's woven into most of our lives: a prayer or quote when needed, a doubt or question in the tough times, and a reminder of the Creator when amazed by His creation.

Oh, and one more fun thing: if you visit Amanda's site, she's created the quiz, 
"Which Ansel-by-the-Sea Locale Are You?" 
You know, if you just need to dig in a little deeper!



If you're looking for a great summer read, I highly recommend Whose Waves These Are
Grab a spot by the ocean, and enjoy...



I received this book to review from the Nuts About Books Blogger Program and Graf-Martin Communications Inc.  I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

2 comments:

Amanda Dykes said...

Allyson, thank you so much for reading the book and taking time to craft such a thoughtful, encouraging review! I'm grateful for the time and heart you poured into it!
~Amanda

Allison Lynn said...

My pleasure! Such a beautiful book!