Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Back to the Bridge

I was back at the Bridge Ministry again tonight. Thunder storms were in the forecast, so the volunteer turnout was much smaller than last time.

I was put to work tonight, singing with the praise team. I didn't know most of the songs, but praise songs are meant to be singable, so it was pretty easy to pick them up as we went along. After the music, we had the message from a preacher who is also on the city's Homeless Commission (I think I have that right?). He spoke on Jeremiah 29:11 - "For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." He was great in speaking to the homeless about how this passage applies to them; how even in this time of difficulty and brokenness, God still has a plan, and is watching over each of them.

To be honest, it was a message I needed to hear too. As we enter 2008, we are facing some financial challenges. The limits of our visa are making it very hard to support ourselves. Don't get me wrong - We are incredibly thankful for our visa! But it's difficult to support a family on one income, especially while also paying for studio time, demos, songwriting workshops, etc. I know God brought us here to Nashville, and I know He didn't bring us here to abandon us. And again, I don't want to sound ungrateful for the opportunities we're being given. It's just difficult. If things don't change soon, it may limit our time here, and I hate that thought. It's also difficult, and a little embarrassing, to admit that we're having financial difficulties. (When I started this blog, I promised myself I'd always be honest in it. Some days, that's easier said than done. Right now, I'm trying to decide if I should delete this whole entry!) We're far from bankrupt, and when I see the people I saw tonight, I know we're very blessed indeed. We're not seeking riches, just stability. It would take so much pressure off my head.

In light of those thoughts ... Positive blessings of the day:

- Today was a day off, and it was too rainy to go outside, so Gerald, the puppies, and I got to spend some much needed family time together.

- I'm putting my CDs up for sale on HouseOfJubal.com. Today, I got all the info loaded on the site, and I've mailed them product, so it should be up and running very soon.

- I had great conversations with my parents and my father-in-law.

- I learned about DPD licenses, which are required to sell songs digitally.

- Kara and I got feedback on "Diamond Horizon", the song we wrote over the phone. The feedback was very positive, and suggested that, after a few tweaks, we should demo and pitch it.

- I am 99% finished booking and collecting grant info for Music on the Hill.

- I'm working Gordon Mote's table next week at a Homecoming concert.

- Tara may have a possible booking for me.

When people attend the Bridge, they receive a meal and clothes, and if they stay til the end, they are entered into a drawing to win a large item, like a bike or tent. But the focus of the night is the worship service. There's lots of inspiring music, a short but Biblical message, an altar call, and prayer. They feed the body, but it is also a reminder that, more than anything, we need to feed the soul. Instead of dieting to starve ourselves, we need to stuff ourselves full with music, love, and Jesus!

No comments: