Monday, February 05, 2007

The Redeemer and The Crabbs

Interesting title, I know, but it sums up my day nicely.

This morning, I continued my hunt for a new home church. I visited The Church of the Redeemer, an Anglican parish not too far from our place. Before Christmas, I did a Google search of "Anglican Nashville". I got a number of hits, but this is the one that caught my eye. Most of the others were very proud of their "traditional" Anglican roots, offering services using a hundred-year-old prayer book. I know that suites lots of people - it's just not what I'm looking for.

Church of the Redeemer is actually only a few years old. They describe themselves as "evangelical" Anglicans, so I was expecting something non-traditional. The service was similar to something you'd experience at St. John's West Toronto, or the 9:15 St. John's York Mills service.

It was Holy Communion, and it used contemporary language similar to the BAS. The music was lead by a praise band, and the songs were a mix of hymns, praise choruses, and taize - realllllly good! The preaching was vibrant, and the whole service was very relaxed and joyful.

They have an interesting policy: "After the service, the first person we speak to is someone we don't know." And they really do it! I met about half a dozen people and had a few nice chats about the church and what they do. I really had a good time there. I felt very comfortable, very at home. I'll probably go back soon for another visit...

This afternoon held an awesome treat: I saw the Crabb Family in concert! I've been a fan of this group for a while, but, like so many Southern Gospel groups, they never make their way to Toronto. Actually, you'd probably call this group "Progressive" Southern Gospel, meaning they mix contemporary sounds, and songs from other Christian genres, into their music.

They had a wicked band of 4 members, and then 4 of the family members were on hand to sing and play instruments. They did a lot of songs off their "Blur the Lines" album, which I just love. Jason opened with his very soulful rendition of "Shout to the Lord". Actually, I don't think Jason can sing anything that's not soulful!

Terah, Adam, and Aaron all got turns to shine on lead, and their harmonies were just wonderful! They did some building, with one person singing harmony, then adding another person, and so on, and then they did a lot of just power-wall 4-part stuff. Everything was very tight and very smooth - the work of a lifetime of singing together!

They ended with "Redeemer" - another favourite of mine! After the show, they were all out in the lobby, so I got to meet everyone and say Hi. I would have bought CDs, but I think I have everything by now.

Like any great show, I walked away a little exhausted, but also completely inspired.

Inspired to make music... inspired to write songs... inspired to use it all for the glory of God!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Allison,

I followed the link in your e-mail. I'm a blogger myself, www.ihajj.blogspot.com

I was really glad to read about your experience at Redeemer. Its especially a blessing to hear that people spoke to you after service, following our "tradition."

Welcome to your and your new husband. I hope you have a great time in Nashville.

Thomas+