Monday, January 08, 2007

All Saints Epiphany

When I found out I had this Sunday free, I contacted Jeannie to see if she'd like me to sing at All Saints Church. After she said "Yes", I decided to ask Gerald and Monika if they would join me. It's pretty impossible to get the 3 of us together for any kind of gig. But God was working with us, and this morning was something special.

We decided we could still do Christmas music since this was Epiphany Sunday, so the next step was finding stuff that would incorporate the 3 of us. I chose "Welcome to Bethlehem" as our first special song, since it's uptempo and fun and allows us to play dueling guitars.

During communion, we kept it simple. I played, while Moni and I sang "Infant Holy, Infant Lowly" and "The Stable Bare" in harmony. Always sooo good to sing with Monika!

This past week, Gerald wrote a stunning new song, "My Heart is the Manger". It was inspired by Dad's Christmas sermon, when he talked about preparing your heart to receive the Christ child at Christmas. Moni and I worked for hours on harmonies, and we presented this at the end of the service. I looove this song!

"Welcome to Bethlehem" was a huge hit, especially with the children in the congregation. So after the service, Jeannie asked if we'd sing it again so people could dance. So we played, and people of all ages started to get up and dance. (Things you can do when you have no pews!) It was awesome and joyous and totally wonderful!

It was Moni and Gerald's first visit to All Saints, and I was curious as to how they would react to it. The consensus was that a lack of financial weight has given the church, and it's people, space to discover a spiritual purity. I am always so blessed by my visits there, and I'm so happy that it affected my friends in the same way too.

I highly recommend a visit...

No comments: