Sunday, March 08, 2009

Northside Church of the Nazarene

We're home! After a long, but safe, 6-hour drive, we're home and exhausted! I have to work tomorrow morning, but I'm way too tired to go to sleep yet.

We were up bright and early (the clock said 7 am, but my body still felt 6 am) to join Ron at Northside Church of the Nazarene. Neat story: back in the day, Dad Speer founded the main Nazarene church in the area. Speer history! I love it!

The church hosts a small congregation, but what a service! We opened with a congregational hymn, prayers, and announcements, and then it was our time. We had planned on doing four songs, but we got requests! On Friday night, Gerald was talking about his 9-11 song, "Angels in the Dust." One of the veterans showed up at church "just to hear that song," so you know Gerald had to do it. (love that song!!!) It received a great response, so it was well worth it.

At the last minute, Gerald asked if I'd sing "Shepherd of the Hills." I didn't really know if it was the right morning for it. I rehearsed it, but decided I wouldn't do it. After Gerald sang "Angels," I sat down in my pew, thinking this was a lovely way to end the set. Then Ron asked, "Are you going to to do #6?" How could I say No? After I sang it, the preacher walked up to the pulpit and said, "That last song said exactly what I want to say in my sermon." You can't tell me God's not in that!

The sermon was excellent, and after the service a group of us went to lunch. Again, we got to know several people, and I think I may have an invitation to another church in August.

What a weekend! I'm tired, but very, very happy!

No comments: