Thursday, October 13, 2005

A big rehearsal.

So, tomorrow was supposed to be an easy gig with the big band. Just a few songs. But our other singer is unable to perform. So ...

Tomorrow is a full solo gig! Arg!!!!!

Only a few days notice, no charts to study, and one rehearsal. Yes - terrifying! Tonight was the one rehearsal. I went in nervous. Technically, I went in early to study the charts. It's all songs I've done before, but not for several months. And I'm not in rehearsals now cause of Alpha (which I missed tonight.)

The band is in good shape under the strict baton of our new conductor, Paul Weston. He's musical, which is always great, but he also has a really strong work ethic. Rehearsal starts on time, and we are there to work. I can completely respect that attitude. Isn't that why we have rehearsal? To work? To spend our time making music? If I wanted a social club, I'd join a social club. Actually, I don't know if I can afford a social club. But I digress.

We have a great line-up for tomorrow. Lots of awesome songs - Beyond the Sea, S'wonderful, and Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars. I was in good voice tonight, and I was able to relax into the songs. I actually had a great time, and I'm now looking forward to the gig.

My job tonight is to get a good night's sleep. When I get up in the morning, I need to write my morning pages, eat a lot, do a good long vocal warm-up, and do everything possible to breathe out my nerves.

No comments: