Saturday, January 31, 2009

Song U Chat

Song U, in its university-style concept, has several different clubs on 'campus'. I'm a member of the CCM Club and the Performing Songwriter Club, which basically means I can go into those sections of the discussion boards and join in the discussions of related topics.

This morning, the CCM Club met online for a live chat. We all met in the e-auditorium. I think there were 7 of us who chatted over the course of the hour. There was the option of using a mic, but we kept it all to typing, which just seemed easier.

This kind of gathering was all kind of new to me, so it took a bit to get used to the flow of things, but after a while, it got to be pretty fun. I didn't really know anyone there, so we passed around a few introductions. One new member of the group brought up the topic of "what makes a Christian song Christian?", an oft-discussed topic in Christian music circles, but actually a great topic for getting to know people and their knowledge and background in Christian music.

Later in the chat, one guy suggested we take on the exercise of a group co-write. We're going to start with a hook, and write the whole thing on the discussion boards. Once the lyric is down, a few people will work on the music, and then one of the members has volunteered to demo it. I have no idea how this'll turn out, but it'll be interesting if nothing else!

By the way, I don't know if I've shared this yet, but I do have a webpage on Song U. It has songs, news, and an interview about my songwriting influences. You can visit it here.

I had great plans to go out tonight, but I'm fighting some kind of sicky thing. I can't afford to get sick because I'm on the praise team tomorrow. Gerald is forcing me to watch TV and sip tea. I feel blah, blah, blah.

No comments: