Thursday, July 05, 2007

Happy 4th of July!

This is our first ever 4th of July as non-immigrant aliens!

We spent the very hot afternoon down by the riverfront, which Gerald and I keep calling the "harbourfront". We joined our friends and their very new baby for a great afternoon of music and food. They had this huge stage set up, and some people had arrived at 9 in the morning to get prime seats for the evening's headliners and fireworks. They also had a huge kidzone, complete with a mechanical bull.

We didn't want to face the crowds for the night-time performances, but I think we got the best show of all - songwriter Jeffrey Steele. You may not know his name, but if you listen to country music, you have definitely heard his songs.

But here's the highlight for me: I tried alligator!

I actually ate alligator! They had it deep-fried on skewers, like satay, and they were calling it Gator-on-a-Stick.

Because it was deep-fried, it tasted a little like chicken at first (Kentucky Fried Gator!), but the meat itself was more like a dense white fish.

I liked it, but I don't really know that I'll be making it at home. That would just be too weird.

We are so not in Kansas any more!

No comments: