Tuesday, September 29, 2009

How to Make the Most of an Empty Week

When we had to cancel our trip to Nashville, we had 2 choices. We could spend the now-empty time watching television and constantly updating our facebook status with quotes from Oprah and Larry King. Or, we could make it an incredibly productive and creative time.

Obviously, we chose option #2. (If I'd chosen option 1, this would be a horrible blog post!)

So, here's how my non-Nashville days have been looking:

- Each morning, I start my day with 2-3 hours of creative time. This is my time to sing, write, and study. Currently, I'm working through John C. Maxwell's "Talent is Never Enough." I read each chapter taking notes, writing down my favourite quotes, and working on the application questions. Amazing book!

- I've just started a BSF Bible study of John. Intro class last week; first real class tomorrow. Very excited!

- I'm becoming a booking machine! When we moved home 3 and a half months early, that meant we had 3 and a half empty months on the calender. In the past week, I've confirmed a number of bookings. We're now booked for almost every Sunday morning from now til Christmas, and we're starting to book into 2010! We're also starting to book lots of concerts and Christmas parties. Of course, we still have space for more...

- I'm continuing to have pain from my neck, so I'm also continuing to have chiropractic care - 3 adjustments a week plus massage. Not really complaining about the massage part....

- The Christian DIVA event is coming up next week. Next week!! Must start memorizing my part of the 'drama'.

- I wrote my October SoGospelNews article about being a Christian DIVA. Should go online soon.

So with all that work, and the extra family duties around Mom's surgery, things have been pretty busy, but not too busy to celebrate the good stuff:

- Mom is recovering amazingly well from her knee replacement! Today, she graduated from a walker to a cane! Whoo-hoo!

- On Sunday, Dad celebrated 45 years of ordained ministry, and we're all the better for it.

- Yesterday, Mom and Dad celebrated 41 years of wedded bliss. Amazing and inspiring!

If it sounds like I'm just bragging on my family, that's all good. After our accident, Gerald and I wanted nothing more than to get home to be around our families, and this is what it's all about - being here to care for Mom through her surgery, lifting some of the burden off Dad as he takes care of the household stuff, celebrating the great moments with Greek food and cake from IKEA, and spending the quiet moments watching Autumn drift into Ontario. We are blessed, indeed!

No comments: