Friday, October 28, 2022

Book Review: Dangerous Beauty, by Melissa Koslin

Several reviewers said, "Don't pick up this book unless you have time to read it one sitting" and they weren't kidding!

Dangerous Beauty, by Melissa Koslin,
grips you from the first page. 

Liliana Vela is running for her life in the dark of night. She's in America, not her native Mexico, as a victim of human trafficking. She finds herself sneaking into a gas station, desperately in need of help, and not knowing how to ask for it. 

Meric Toledan is just stopping by the gas station for a drink, when he sees Liliana and quickly assesses the situation. The authorities arrive, but Liliana has no options for safety. They'll have to send her back to Mexico.

Until Meric makes an offer - 
he will marry Liliana to keep her in safely in America.


Okay, here's where I had to raise an eyebrow. I knew this was the premise of the book, but it all happened so quickly and all I could think was "This isn't realistic."

But it was in the moment, my friends, that I learned of a whole new literary genre: 
Marriage by Convenience.

Little did I know that this was an entire, hugely popular sub-genre of romance novels and movies! I guess that shows how few romance books I read...

Well, once I learned that this is an accepted genre (with apologies to all those who already know and love the genre!),  I was able to enjoy the story much more.

Dangerous Beauty is a fast-paced, thriller-romance that is set in the world of human trafficking. Melissa's writing is sharp, with a strong narrative pulse. She found a wonderful way to express the heaviness of the subject matter without ever slowing down the plot or exploiting the topic.

I'll definitely be looking out for more of Melissa's writing in the future!


Melissa offers a free novella to all email subscribers! You can find out more here:

www.MelissaKoslin.com



Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.


2 comments:

Melissa Koslin said...

I’m so glad you liked it!

Allison Lynn said...

Thanks, Melissa!