Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Book Review - Doing Busy Better, by Glynnis Whitwer

As someone who loves to take on ambitious projects and fill my life with a plethora of activities, I jumped at the chance to review this beautiful new book, Doing Busy Better - Enjoying God's Gifts of Work and Rest, by Glynnis Whitwer.

I should also point out that I received this book months ago! I started it some time in June. I finished it today. Why? I've been too busy to read it.

No, the irony is not lost on me...

Once I had made the time to dig into it, Doing Busy Better is an engaging and practical book about reevaluating the ways we approach busyness and relaxation.

Whitwer doesn't just want you to manage your calendar better (although there are tips for that). This is about studying and using God's model for work and rest as a guideline for healthy, balanced living.

Two chapters in particular resonated with me:

Hurry Is A Heart Condition

As I finished this book, Gerald and I are on our annual Western Canada Tour. We're driving roundtrip through five provinces over seven weeks, singing concerts, leading worship services, and logging in countless admin hours along the way. The schedule is tight! "You must ruthlessly eliminate hurry from your life" has become a potentially life-changing mantra for us.

How To Be Peaceful and Productive

This should be the goal of every super-productive person. Oh, to get it all done and still feel calm at the end of the day! Whitwer writes, "I don't want to get more done. I want to get more of the right things done." Yes, please!

This is the kind of book I read with a pencil in hand. I can't tell you how many corners I turned down and how many notes I made in the margins. I hope to revisit my favourite ideas and find ways to make them practical in my own life.

There is so much good work to be done and so much good rest to be enjoyed. This book will help you find the value and God-connection in both.



I received this book to review from the Nuts About Books Blogger Program and Graf-Martin Communications Inc.  I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.



No comments: