Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Allison, by John Viljoen

A number of years ago, I met portrait artist John Viljoen when we were both teaching at the same arts school.

Needless to say, I was more than flattered when he asked me to sit for a portrait. But what I didn't anticipate was the power of joining in someone else's creative process in this unique way. Like working with a photographer, I realized part of my job, the way I could contribute to John's art, was to simply be open and present, living in the moment.


Years later, John gave us the original as a wedding gift. 
He recently posted the photo online, so I thought I'd share it with you. 


It was a really creative time in my life. I had just spent long days in the sanctuary of St. John's Church with Gerald (who was my brand new fiancĂ©!) and our best friends, recording my first CD - It Is Well With My Soul. On the day that John captured the expression in the painting, I had just received my first disc with the almost finished recordings. We played it in the studio, and as I listened, John painted.


When I look at this painting, my mind drifts back to that time,
 remembering the power of creativity and friendship.


For more information on the art of John Viljoen, 
please visit www.JohnViljoen.com

No comments: