Thursday, August 14, 2008

St. John's York Mills "Homecoming"

Since coming back from Newfoundland on Monday, it's been non-stop gigging. We've hooked up with an agent who's booking us in the chapels of seniors' homes. We bring our guitars and do an hour of old hymns. Awesome!

Tonight was a real 'homecoming' for us. For the first time in almost two years, we did a concert in our former home church of St. John's York Mills. I've been trying to get back there for a while, but after a great email from their new rector this spring, we booked a full concert for tonight.

I will completely admit that I was a bit nervous going in. I think we always are when we return home. It's like a high school reunion. Don't we all want to return home richer, skinnier, taller, cooler? But my fears were quickly put at ease by a warm and generous welcome.

Gerald and I did a 90 minute show with a few classic songs, but mostly originals. We really wanted to show people what we do in Nashville, so the middle of the show consisted of two 20-minute solo sets. First, Gerald did 20 minutes of what he would do at a Nashville songwriter night, complete with sitting on a stool and sharing song stories. Next, I did 20 minutes of songs from Real Big Fan, using tracks and testimony. It was great to sing "Movin' Up To Gloryland" and tell everyone that I first learned that song within the walls of that very sanctuary.

It was just great to sing there and see people and hug and be hugged. Can't wait to do it again!

No comments: