Thursday, October 14, 2021

Book Review: The Nature of Small Birds, by Susie Finkbeiner


Earlier this summer, other reviewers in our Nuts About Books 
review program started swooning over The Nature of Small Birds
As soon as I got a chance, I requested a copy for myself, and I'm so glad I did!


In 1975, over three thousand children became part of Operation Babylift. These orphans and abandoned children were airlifted out of a fallen Saigon to be adopted into Western homes. 

The Nature of Small Birds, by Susie Finkbeiner, introduces us to one of these Western families. Our story is told by three members of the family over three significant time periods - when Mindy is adopted, when she and her sister Sonny are teenagers, and when the girls are adults. Mindy has always wondered about her past, but when the internet gives the option of researching her birth parents, she finally has the chance to ask the questions she's always wanted answered.

The best word to describe this book is Poetic. The writing is lyrical and beautiful. There are times when the characters will actually quote poetry, which set me off on many a google search to find the original poem.

This family is loving, which is a powerful choice. This isn't the high drama of a broken family. Instead, we're treated to a journey of learning how to love, heal and forgive within an environment of grace. We see the question of "what is a family" explored across generations and perspectives.

I honestly loved all the characters in this book! They're realistic and relatable. Each of our three narrators has a unique voice and perspective. 80's-era Sonny with her references to scrunchies, Aqua Net, and separating your eyelashes with a pin were particularly fantastic for this 80's-era girl! 

And the references to birds are lovely! I'm a notetaker when I read, and I always love finding references to the title of a novel. There are wonderful quotes and gorgeous thoughts about "the nature of small birds" woven throughout this story. I lost track of how many lines I underlined!


I can't recommend this gorgeous book enough!
Buy it, find a cozy corner in your backyard or by a sunny window, and enjoy.

I highly recommend The Nature of Small Birds!


For a bit of added reading, Susie wrote this piece about the inspiration 
for the character "Bruce":

https://susiefinkbeiner.com/2021/06/04/of-birds-and-providence/


You can learn more about Susie Finkbeiner and her beautiful writing at

www.SusieFinkbeiner.com 



Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.

No comments: