Monday, February 22, 2021

Book Review: Spur of the Moment, by Marcia Lee Laycock

Last year, I took a new step in my writing journey when I joined Inscribe Christian Writers' Fellowship. This collective is doing fantastic things to connect, equip, and encourage Christian writers across Canada. I'm just started to get involved, and I love getting to know the writers and their creations.



Through our Facebook group, I heard about Marcia Lee Laycock and her beautiful devotional, Spur of the Moment. I was thrilled when she sent me a copy for review!

Marcia is a prolific writer, writing in a variety of styles, but I feel like devotionals might be her speciality. According to her website, Spur of the Moment is Marcia's most popular devotional, already in its "expanded third edition" and was honoured with an award from The Word Guild. I have a paperback copy, but you can also get an e-book for your Kindle. 

Spur of the Moment is a collection of over a hundred devotionals, each inspired by a verse of Scripture. The pieces aren't presented in any particular order, so you can read and digest them at your own pace. They're well suited to both your first-cup-of-coffee inspiration or your final read before bed. 


Marcia is a beautiful writer, teasing out the details of any scene to make you feel like you're really there. Her devotions are placed in a variety of locations, allowing you to spend time by the edge of the Lake Superior, at the foot Mt. McKinley, at the start of an Olympic running race, and at a breakfast table in Papua New Guinea. In each story, Marcia finds a perfect moment that ties directly into Scripture, and gives us a new way to discover God in the everyday.

And truly, I think that's the great gift of Marcia's writing. I've never met her in person, but I feel like Marcia could write a devotional about anything! She has a way of finding God in every moment of living. Her devotionals don't just share her stories - they encourage us to find God on every page of our own stories.

I definitely recommend you get your own copy of Spur of the Moment,
and enjoy seeing God move in every part of your day.

You can find out more about Marcia and her beautiful writing at 

https://marcialeelaycock.com/ 


A copy of Spur of the Moment was provided at no cost in exchange for an unbiased review.

2 comments:

Louise said...

Thank you for this review, Alison. It sounds like just the book I need right now. God bless you!

Allison Lynn said...

Blessings to you, Louise!