Saturday, June 25, 2011

Suggested Summer Reading...

It's that time! The weather is consistently warm and the garden is green. It's the perfect time to grab your favourite lawn chair (or beach chair, if you're that lucky), a tall iced tea, and a great book.

To celebrate summer reading, I thought I'd pass on a few books that I love. Please note this is only a very, very small list - as I looked at my book shelf and got excited by each tome, I realized that this could be the never-ending blog post!

(FYI - These are just my opinions. Unlike my book reviews, no one is giving me anything to write this. Of course, if you like one of the books, you're always welcome to send me a Kitkat bar...)


THE ARTIST'S WAY
By Julia Cameron


A classic for all artists, and never to be underestimated. If you haven't read it yet, stop messing around and get it. And don't just read it, do it.


TALENT IS NEVER ENOUGH
By John Maxwell



A fantastic book demonstrating that talent is only one small piece of success. With his vibrant illustrations and clarity of writing, Maxwell shows how character, courage, belief, and other personal traits can help you develop your talent to its highest level.


BLUE LIKE JAZZ
By Donald Miller


Not just because it's about God and jazz, but because it's brilliant. I've read it twice, and I've used the example of the confession booth more times than I can count. Read it before the movie comes out this summer.


RISE UP AND SING
By Lex Buckley


Written specifically for female worship leaders, but filled with lots of great, basic worship leading advice. My favourite are the chapters on leading worship as a pianist, a guitarist, or with no instrument (like me!)


THE BOOK OF NEGROES
By Lawrence Hill


A historical fiction tracing the life of a West African girl who is sold into slavery. Hardly easy summer reading, but one of the most challenging, disturbing, and inspiring books I've read in years. I can't recommend this enough!!


SNOW FLOWER
AND THE SECRET FAN

By Lisa See


One of the most beautiful books I've ever read. Another historical fiction, this time set in 19th century China. A wonderful story of friendship, with fascinating chapters on foot-binding and nu shu - a 'secret code' of women's writing. Another one to read before the movie comes out (though I secretly have high hopes for this film).


Oh, so hard to limit it to just 6! I may post another list next month.

Please list some of your faves in the comments section.
I always love a good book referral!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading the book, The Power of One. It had an intriguing storyline but was, at times, difficult to read. There is some coarse language in it so be aware.

Allison Lynn said...

I remember loving that movie, but I didn't realize it was a novel. I'll have to search it out. Thanks for the recommendation!